The raw bars on the market are aimed to solve one problem all of us have these days – provide people with a healthy and tasty snack on the go. But do they do that indeed? Let’s figure it out together!
- Raw bars mainly consist of dates.
Currently, most raw bars consist of dates. Dates are great; they are a natural sweetener, have a low glycemic index, and are inexpensive, but when a bar consists of up to 70% from dates, we start asking questions. Dates are calorific and, when consumed in excess, can trigger allergies. So the healthy way would be to use as few dates in a raw bar as possible – just enough to make it taste good and bind other ingredients together.
- Raw bars lack ingredient diversity.
As most raw bars packages will tell you, they consist of 3-4 ingredients. That is good on the one hand – no preservatives, only the ingredients necessary to taste according to their flavour name. If a label says “coconut taste”, then ingredients will be dates and coconut; if a label says “Peanut”, – you will see dates and peanuts in the ingredient list. The logic is simple, just as ingredients used, but does it really make a raw bar healthy and nutritionally balanced? We don’t think so. The cool thing with raw bars is the fact that you can add a lot of different ingredients. Most companies don’t do that not because they can’t but because it costs them. R&D costs, ingredient costs and taste experiments also costs. We think companies need to focus more on their customers’ benefits and a bit less on their profit margins.
- Not all of them are organic.
Organic is much more than using proper ingredients. Organic is a way of farming, producing and storing. When a product is organically certified, you can be sure that ingredients were grown consciously, production was strictly controlled, and the end product was appropriately stored. Organic is not only good for you but also for the planet. Moreover, to get organic certification, companies have to struggle a lot. This green EU leaf logo you see on the package is hard to get. Regulations to follow, certifications to obtain. All that to ensure purity. For that reason, some companies only manage to get around 98% of their organic ingredients (enough to reach the organic certificate threshold). It is a lot of work, but in our opinion, every raw bar should be 100% organic.
- Raw bars usually don’t contain superfoods.
Not everyone eats superfoods daily, even though superfoods are an excellent source of essential microelements — many reasons behind that. Superfoods tend to be expensive and don’t really taste nice if they are not combined with other ingredients. In our opinion, being a raw bar means far more than just a bar that contains raw ingredients. We believe that raw bars should give people everything they need to maintain a healthy lifestyle. And superfoods are a perfect way of doing that.
- Raw bars are not designed with a focused/special nutrition in mind.
Everyone is unique – we know that. But being a woman means that you have to face something extra that men don’t – menstruation. Menstruation has different faces across different people and can really destroy parts of your daily life. Many women overlook menstrual problems because they are used to them during their life or try to fight them with only instant solutions such as painkillers and medication. Sadly, many women nowadays don’t know that they need particular nutrition for their menstrual cycle to work like swiss clocks. And with a fast pace of living, maintaining healthy food behaviour is tricky. We think that raw bars are a perfect way to have a snack that can give women the nutrients they need.
At Rooby, we think differently and want to make raw bars in a conscious way to give the most of it to people. That is why we:
- Use only organic ingredients. All of our bars are 100% organic – no exceptions.
- We use a minimum amount of dates. Our bars contain only around 40% of dates – just enough to bind ingredients together and balance the sweetness.
- We use a variety of ingredients in every bar. For example, our Berry Vanilla bar contains cranberries, strawberries and raspberries. Did you know that our Chocolate Orange flavour has pepper? And we are pretty sure you wouldn’t even feel its subtle spicy taste if you didn’t know that beforehand.
- We add superfoods to every bar. Baobab powder, chokeberry powder and maca powder – all of them can be found in our bars.
- Rooby Bars come with extra health benefits if you are a woman. We incorporate the seed cycling concept in our bars. Four flavours are divided into 2 phases. The first phase contains pumpkin and flax seeds, and the second phase – sesame and sunflower seeds. This helps women interested in seed cycling to do that in an easy, convenient and tasty way!.
In the end, we end up with tremendous raw bars – amazingly healthy, balanced and tasty. A snack that one can enjoy daily without regrets. If you feel the same as us and want more out of your daily snacks, join our Instagram community.